12/1001: My Man Godfrey


Released 1936
American
black and white
94 minute run time
Directed by Gregory La Cava
Starring William Powell, Carole Lombard, Alice Brady
(watched via Netflix streaming)



The Plot Basically Breaks Down Like This:
A bunch of snooty socialites go on a scavenger hunt and one of them picks up a dirty hobo looking fella that turns out to be William Powell. He is offered a job serving as the butler at their house and soon finds himself not only butlering (butling? is that even a word?) but solving domestic disturbances for the entire family. After everyone seems to learn some lessons and William Powell proves he's about 150x smarter than anyone else, he takes off to open a bar and hire hobos to run it. It sounds a little silly but it really plays out a lot better than I'm making it sound.

My Thoughts Basically Break Down Like This:
I think I mentioned this film in the last post as one of the William Powell movies that isn't quite as awesome as The Thin Man. It isn't anything against William Powell, as he was once again brilliant and snarky and adorable and snide and fun. I think its that he doesn't have Myrna Loy to play against. Their onscreen chemistry is so electric that his interactions with any other women on screen seem to pale in comparison. His character in this is also more serious than in The Thin Man, and it makes me miss the witticisms and jokes that he shot off so quickly and expertly in the other movie. All that aside, My Man Godfrey is a very good film and alot of fun to watch. If I'd never seen The Thin Man this would most likely be my favorite William Powell film.

Comments