16/1001: The Wizard of Oz


Released 1939
American
black & white AND color
Directed by Victor Fleming, Mervyn LeRoy, King Vidor
Starring: Judy Garland, Frank Morgan, Ray Bolger, Margaret Hamilton
(watched via VHS and on TV and on DVD and probably other ways too)


The Plot Basically Breaks Down Like This:
There's this girl and she lives in Kansas which is black and white so obviously horrible and this bitca wants to destroy her dog and she isn't taking that nonsense so she runs off and then this tornado comes and her house blows away and unlike in real life where she'd be stranded on her roof for a week waiting for the government to come and rescue her, instead she ends up in Oz which is apparently totally awesome because its in COLOR and everyone sings and dances and giggles and lives in flowers. But the girl is all, like, "No I have to go back to yucky old black and white Kansas" which makes no kinds of sense but whatever everyone is helpful cause they rock and they send her on her way to see the Wizard and she makes awesome fantasy friends along the way and there is much singing and dancing and getting makeovers and then the Wizard turns out to be a fraud and they have to kill a witch cause she wants more than her one pair of cute witchy shoes and then the girl misses her balloon ride out of fun time land but it turns out that her shoes could send her back home at any time and instead of getting mad that no one told her that (which I so would have) she just says goodbye and goes on her way and wakes up in boring old Kansas again but seems pretty happy about it.

My Thoughts Basically Break Down Like This:
To this day I have never understood why Dorothy wanted to go home so badly. Everyone at home was kind of mean and dirty and Kansas was black and white where Oz was in color and everyone there seemed so nice and friendly and magical. Who would give up fantasy land for freaking Kansas? (nothing against Kansas per se, I drove through there a couple of times and they had very well maintained freeways, but it didn't look better than Oz or anything) I never found this movie particularly scary, as I know some kids do, but I think that may have been because I was introduced to The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth when I was little and after those films nothing could creep little me out. This movie is fun and exciting and bright and musical and I always have a good time watching it, though. Even that time my friends and I tried playing it along with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon it was still pretty awesome (though I don't think we did it right cause I didn't see what the big deal was). But I'm always a little miffed when the film ends and Dorothy is back in Kansas. I'm just saying.

Comments