The Ultimate Movie Challenge


I bought a book called "1001 Movies to See Before You Die." I have seen tons of movies in my lifetime and I thought I would pop this book open and see page after page of films that I had watched before. I was going to be filled with such a sense of accomplishment and vindication, because it was going to prove what a film lover I really was.

I was wrong. I opened that giant book of movies only to find that I had seen few of them and heard of even less. It was just page after page of shock and wonder and awe and desire and loss and anger and disappointment.

After marking off and counting the films that I had actually seen from the conveniently provided check list, it turned out I had seen about 148 of the 1,001 included. Just 148! In all of the years I've been watching and loving and re-watching and talking about and dreaming about movies, I had only seen 148 that were considered important or award-winning or exceptional films.

That, I realized quickly and firmly, was UNACCEPTABLE.

I am a film lover. I am a fan of the classics and the black and whites and the talkies and the musicals and the epics and the franchises and the animated features. I am a film lover and I will prove it.

I will watch every single one of the films included in that behemoth collection that spans the early 1900s through the 2000s. I will watch them and absorb them and mark them off of the checklist with a smile and a feeling of accomplishment. I will be the film fan that I always thought I was and I will have proof of it.

And I will blog about each film after I've seen it to give my thoughts and opinions on whether it was really worth including in the list or not. Just because I can.

Comments