9/1001: Las Huerdes (Land Without Bread)


Released in 1933
Spanish
Black and white
27 minute run time
Directed by Luis Bunuel
(watched via VHS)


This documentary came as a double feature with Salvador Dali's Un Chien Andalou, but where that film is all surreal and bizarre and had to understand at moments, this one seems to be more direct and in your face about what it wants to tell you. And that message is that the world is not all rainbows and glitter and unicorns prancing in the sunshine. Some parts of it are dark and dirty and uber-bleak. The director found one of the most dismal places in the world and filmed the daily lives of the wretched-looking people who lived there. Watching this film made me depressed and uncomfortable in a way that, up until that point (I saw this film when I was still pretty young), I had never experienced from a film before. I truly appreciate documentaries that show me things I've never thought of before, and reveal truths of the world that I'm sure most of us would prefer to believe don't exist. I just wish those truths, in this case, didn't have to be so hard to watch.

Comments