17/1001: Saving Private Ryan


Released 1998
American
color
Directed by Steven Spielberg
Starring Tom Hanks, Ed Burns, Matt Damon, Tom Sizemore, and lots and lots of other guys I recognized immediately
(watched via DVD but not the special edition in the tin case cause someone jacked that from Boyfriend years ago and he's still upset about it which is understandable cause that's a pretty douchey thing to do really)


The Plot Basically Breaks Down Like This:
Its WWII and the troops are landing for D-Day and people are dying everywhere and its horrible and sad and Tom Hanks is trying to get his men across the beach and people are still dying and some of them make it but some of them don't and one of the ones who doesn't is one of three brothers that all die in combat which is horrible and so the American government decides to send home the fourth brother so their mother can be slightly less sad about this tragedy (or something). So Tom Hanks being awesome gathers up a group of men and they set out to find this last brother and they fight Germans and get shot at and make fun of the new kid and start dying and its all very brilliant but sad and when eventually they find this brother he doesn't want to go home and leave his unit because he's not a total d-bag and so everyone stays to defend this bridge and things blow up and everyone almost dies and its depressing but really well done and they save the one guy but, well, seriously, its just so sad.

My Thoughts Basically Break Down Like This:
I cried. Alot. I started when they hit that beach and men were drowning from the weight of their own gear and I kept crying until 20 minutes after they left the beach to find Matt Damon. Then I cried again on and off until the end when I pretty much lost it for the entire finale. This film is just so tragically, brilliantly, heart breaking. It wasn't just hard to watch, it was emotionally exhausting. So exhausting that I don't think I could ever manage to sit through it again. So heartbreaking that now, several days later, I'm still tearing up just thinking about it. When this film first came out pretty much everyone I knew went and saw it in the theaters, but no one would take me with them, and everyone told me it was a great film but I shouldn't see it. I can freely admit I'm a wuss with movies, and I cry during the majority of them, and war movies are my ultimate downfall. Especially realistic ones. And this one certainly felt realistic while watching it. It felt dirty and loud and choppy and horrifying and hopeful and dark and so so so sad. Watching these characters get sick on the boats, or cry after the battle, or shake from some inner fear they don't even want to admit to, was just so sad. And the idea that this was based on reality (not necessarily a real story, but reality itself), that real people went through real situations that were really like this, is the most heartbreaking thing of all. Yep, I'm crying again just trying to write about it.

Comments