+1/1: Lost in Translation

The version I have of 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die does not actually include Lost in Translation, which is a real bummer. I watched this just the other day and it was a truly lovely film. It was quiet, understated, funny and yet sad at the same time. Each scene was beautifully shot, each line of dialogue (few those lines might be) was perfectly said. Bill Murray was amazing, Scarlett Johansson was amazing. I just fell madly in love with this film and was openly weeping by the end of it. Sophia Coppola is a much better director than she was an actress. Like The Virgin Suicides before it, Lost in Translation is visual poetry. It doesn't need to be loud or busy or in your face. It is brilliant just the way it is. And so even though it wasn't actually included on the list I am going by (but is included down at the bottom of the list on this blog since that includes the later editions) I wanted to give it a mention. It definitely deserves it.

Comments